A luxurious leather chair can enhance the aesthetic of any room, including formal spaces and casual living rooms. However, like any piece of furniture, leather chairs have pros and cons. In this blog post, you’ll learn which styles leather goes with, the pros and cons of leather, and what leather care looks like.
Decorating With Leather Furniture
Since leather chairs can fit with various interior styles, you can take many routes when decorating with these chairs. For example, if your chair is dark in color, add cream, pastel, or white accent pillows and throw blankets. Natural accessories like fresh flowers and driftwood complement the leather’s textured grains.
You can also add an oversize leather chair or wingback leather chair to decorate your dining room or kitchen. A tanned leather chair is best for traditional or cottage interiors. However, if you want vibrant colors, go for dyed leather upholstery, such as yellow, blue, or green.
The Pros and Cons of Leather Chairs
There are a variety of leather chairs. You can pick the best one based on your preferred comfort level, style, size, or color. However, you need to keep some pros and cons in mind.
To start, let’s discuss the advantages of leather chairs.
- Durable: Chairs with leather upholstery can last decades if cared for properly.
- Elegant: Leather material adds a visually interesting element to rooms.
- Comfortable: Leather upholstery is comfortable to touch and feel. It doesn’t collect dust, allergens, or pet dander, making it a good option for family households.
Now, onto the drawbacks.
- Expensive: Typically, leather chairs are more expensive than other types of chairs.
- Regular Maintenance: You need specific cleaning products to keep your leather chairs in top shape. Leather is also susceptible to scratches and wear marks, which are highly visible on the material.
Caring for Leather Chairs
Leather chairs need regular upkeep to retain their elegance for years. Here are some tips to maintain them:
- Do regular buffing with a clean, dry cloth.
- Use a leather conditioner periodically to protect and maintain the leather upholstery.
- Use cleaning products designed for leather.
- Use absorbent material to soak up spills immediately after they happen.
- Direct sunlight can cause your leather chair to fade over time. Heating sources can also cause dryness and cracks. So, keep your chairs away from direct sunlight, fireplaces, and heating vents.
Ultimately, finding the right leather chair to accent your space is effortless since many different styles and textures are available. The final selection entirely depends on your needs, expectations, and style preferences.
Leather Chair FAQs
1. In colder rooms, does a leather chair feel uncomfortably cold?
This common misconception makes people think that leather chairs are not good for cold rooms. But the truth is, leather chairs are perfect for various temperatures. The leather material easily warms up from your body temperature. So, even in a cold room, you can sit comfortably on a leather chair.
2. Does a leather chair require a lot of care?
Although leather chairs require frequent upkeep, the care steps are pretty simple. Leather chairs stand strong and beautiful for decades if you maintain basic care like cleaning, conditioning, and spill management. Just keep the chair away from sunlight and heat sources and avoid using regular household cleaners. Only purchase leather-specific cleaners and conditioners.
3. Do families with young children and pets need to avoid choosing leather chairs?
Since leather chairs are durable and easy to clean, they are a pretty good choice for households with pets and kids. However, leather is easy to scratch, so families might want to purchase a chair cover or select other upholstery materials. Semi-aniline leather could be a good choice because it is more resistant to stains and wear.